Strategies to Improve CommunicationEducation
Be Where Your Members Are
Part of Bonzi’s educational series for sports club & league administrators
PROBLEM: When I talk to people about their biggest problems in running their organization, inevitably one of the top three concerns is communication. They tell me their members often complain that they don’t know what’s happening, can’t find information, and are frustrated.
Organizations say they are equally frustrated because they don’t have the tools to communicate effectively and easily, and their members “just don’t read” the email messages that are sent.
SOLUTION: It’s really simple: find good tools that allow you to communicate easily and through multiple channels, so your messaging appears wherever your members are AND appears in multiple places to reinforce your message.
Organizations say they are equally frustrated because they don’t have the tools to communicate effectively
Types of Communication Tools & Channels Available
- Group Email
- Team Communication Dashboards
- Your Website
- Event Calendars
- Text Messaging
- Registration Confirmation Emails
- Notices posted during the online registration process
Tips For Using These Tools
Before you can use your communication tools, you have to know who you want to communicate with and what message you want to communicate.
- Do you want to educate?
- Do you want to inform?
- Do you need to communicate one-time information?
- Do you need to communicate and update ongoing information?
The type of information you need to communicate will determine the best tools for you to use.
Example: You Want to Inform
If you want to communicate the latest news and happenings to your members, and keep them informed for future news, you may want to use the following tools to promote your news.
- Create and use a “What’s New” area on the homepage of your website where you can post news that automatically displays and then turns off as of certain dates. You don’t have to create an entire web page to do this – it should be quick and easy for the webmaster. (A previous article talked about the importance of making it easy to update your website.)
- Post news announcements on your team communication dashboards
- Send group email about the news while directing, reinforcing and educating your members that they can find the latest information in the What’s New area on your website. This can be as simple as including, “Check the What’s New section of our website the for the latest updates,” messaging at the bottom of your emails.
Eventually people will become educated about where to look for information from your organization and will come to anticipate communication from you
Recipe For Success? Be Consistent
Be consistent about where and how often you communicate. Eventually people will become educated about where to look for information from your organization and will come to anticipate communication from you.
How Can Bonzi Help?
Bonzi knows the importance of sports league communication and providing different and reliable options to communicate with membership using our sports management software. Bonzi products include features that help your administrators and webmaster easily post news and information on your website and share via group email, text messaging, team dashboards, and other communication channels. We make it easy to stay in touch and keep members up-to-date on what’s happening with your organization and their team.
About the Author
Amy Pate has been a board member, administrator, and parent in sports clubs for over 15 years.
She is co-founder and CEO of Bonzi, a leading provider of software and services that support administrators who manage sports organizations including teams, clubs, leagues, and governing bodies across the U.S. and Canada.